Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hospital Ramblings

My mom has been in the hospital for the past week.  We are now officially on day 8.  She had a sudden onset of Pancreatitis which by all reports is extremely painful.  If I never realized my mom's strength before, I certainly do now.  I have not seen her shed a tear. Although I have shed my fair share this past week.

It's tough to have a parent in the hospital. Suddenly I am in the role of caretaker rather than always being taken care of by my mom.  (Yes I am a little spoiled.  After all, I am the youngest child :)

The hospital is definitely a place that helps you put things into perspective.  So although I am much sleep deprived, I have been doing some thinking.

The need to rearrange schedules and make adjustments requires all the busy things that fill my days to take a back seat to reality.  So the question rises - are all those busy things necessary?  Am I filling my days with what is important?  Some things that seemed important a week ago now are not so pressing.  I think that reality does that to us sometime.  It shakes up our world and makes us remember what is important and helps us realize what we need to let go of.

Are there things in your life that you need to let go of? Is the busyness of day to day life interfering with what is important? Sometimes we have to discard the unnecessary to successfully live the life God has called us to.

Hebrews 12:1 - New Living Translation
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Ma'am there are MANY things I need to let go of. Like obsessivly washing dishes, trying to keep the house perfect and Facebook, among other things.It is so hard to have to take care of a parent no matter how old you are. I know your burden is heavy now and I pray it eases up soon!! Praying for you and your mom!!

    ReplyDelete